Sunday, August 04, 2019

Couple of late meals

I thought Tan and the kids might be home by now so after little siesta, at 6pm I looked up some bloke who claimed to be a mate and had pinged me on WeChat a few days before we left London. I had told him I’d contact him when in Pingguo so thought I should be true to my word, so asked him if he had eaten yet as you do. Within a few seconds he’d answered to say he was eating but before I’d finished reading this I saw I was receiving a video call. I was naked but didn’t want to offend him by not answering (or “picking up” as the kids now say - although interestingly picking up is what we used to do with those bakelite phones that these kids have probably never seen the likes of). I managed to tip the phone so only my head was exposed, and he showed me he was with some mates eating and drinking and would show me where so I could come around. I was actually quite grateful as hadn’t eaten more than a portion of jiao zi for lunch, so hopped on the bike to this new area I hadn’t been to before and within minutes was in the mayhem of a bloke meal, with cold red wine thrust upon me (even though on meeting me he recalled I drink beer rather than wine), and then minutes later two women arrived.

To be honest I didn’t recognise anyone, but didn’t tell them. I concluded we’d last met two years ago, and that turned out to be correct, phew. Then the ladies left, and I asked the bloke opposite me why his red wine was a different colour to mine. It turned out it was bilberry alcohol, and he bade me taste it. Well it wasn’t as bad as normal bai jiu is, and I let him know, which turned out in his eyes to mean I wanted a whole glassful, and so he duly poured one full glass.

Then he got a video call from a mate who was in a car - now this one I did somewhat recognise. He was on his way to Pingguo apparently and we had a quick video chat until I told him I couldn’t hear. Then Chen texted to say he was eating and that I should come around, so I said I would in a “while”, which was ok apparently. A short while later I explained I needed to go somewhere, and although this was apparently understood, as I’d finished explaining, the bloke I’d just videocalled from his car turned up with two boxes of beer. Ah...I’d not understood he was turning up in person, and the beers were no doubt for me, so of course I sat down and helped him share them. But of course beer meant cai ma, which for once I did really well at, and of course was video’d so anyone in Pingguo (or Li Jiang) who cares will know.

It wasn’t too hard to make my excuses 20 minutes later, but I had to do a photoshoot with the guys first of all. Back on the bike to the restaurant where Chen was I wondered for the umpteenth time why they don’t ask a little earlier if you want to eat. But I know I shouldn’t - just go with the flow as it’s not like it’s negatively affecting me. The previous meal did not have a great deal I liked, so I was still a little peckish, and this new place had plenty of stuff. I didn’t know anyone other than Chen, but that soon changed after some beers were poured and cai ma started. It was another fun meal, but I had to make my excuses by 9.30pm as the Community Shield was starting at 10, and they seemed to understand.

Lovely meal with Chen
I had a great stream for the first hour, where we played well, but missed most of the rest of the game, including the penalties, but I’ll take that result. Hoping against much hope that Sane will stay as I think he’s become our best player but there’s no space for someone who doesn’t want to be there 100%. Due to the previous meals I only had one beer with the first half and put the other in the freezer to cool down for later. After the match I took the laptop to bed to read the news but for some reason fell asleep soon after 1am.

No comments:

Post a Comment