Sunday, August 15, 2010

Broken sleep and broken English with teacher

Up at 4.30am again after three hours' sleep. I tried to get back to sleep but to no avail. So I browsed around on fark.com to read some interesting online articles and comments on them before getting some breakfast at 8am. I started to feel really sick after eating one of yesterday's "you tiao", the long fried dough things you dip in soya bean milk. So I tried to get some sleep but today was a particularly noisy one in the house with upstairs doing lots of drilling a few feet from my head. I gave up at 11.30 and drove to our new house. The problem was it was nearly as noisy there too as most other places there are still doing the "zhuang xiu" (decorating), whereas we have pretty much finished. Our new curtains shut out most of the light, but by closing the door too it shut out most of the moving air through the room. The cheap fan I bought the other day made it a bit more bearable but it wasn't air conditioning. Despite the noise and humidity I managed a small amount of sleep in between going to the toilet, but gave up at 4.30pm and came back to Er Jie's place with the A/C. It was still noisy but I managed to sleep most of the time between 5-8pm until A Wu called to ask me to go out and eat.

As I hadn't spent much time with them today, I took the kids out too, who were then immediately taken out to see A Da by A Ni. I really didn't fancy a beer but managed a couple of sips with some friends and had a slightly English chat with one of their wives, who is an English teacher at the local middle school. Funnily enough she didn't want her 6 year old to learn English yet as she wanted him to concentrate on Chinese. I think she may have changed her mind when she saw my two rattling on in Chinese with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment