Sunday, August 08, 2010

Anti-Japanese seafood boss

Tan said she was going to Nanning tomorrow as Lin Hong had said that furniture would be cheaper there. So Jiuma had arranged to take the kids to Bangxu for a couple of days. All without my knowledge of course. Well, the kids duly went at 6pm, and then at 10pm came back as they weren't prepared to stay the night there without one or both of their parents.

It took some time to get the kids to sleep as they must have slept on the bus. But when they did I went out to get a little bbq and then see the boss of the seafood place. He was pretty plastered even by his standards, and made me sit at a table with him alone, launching into a tirade of why he hates the Japanese. There is something about alcohol that really brings out the racist in people. I tried to say that this generation of Japanese had nothing to do with the war, and explained the similarities with Germany and how that attitude was so old hat. He nodded as though he understood what I was saying. Then he said, "Xiao Peng, if you walk into my restaurant I welcome you! But if a Japanese man walked in here I'd kill him!". I just gave up. Too tired to argue, I offered him some bbq but he hardly touched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment