Sunday, July 17, 2011

Boat ride in a storm

Up at 8.30am. Tan left before 9 to meet up with A Ni and go out to Nanning for the day so I took the kids out to get breakfast and eat at Er Jie's. Then I took them to Lao Ma's hair salon to get Leilei trimmed for this heat. He didn't make such a fuss this year so Xixi and I went out to get a juice drink up the road. The only fruit they appeared to have available was something called "mu xi gua" which I loosely translated as "wood melon". The girl didn't know how to prepare the drinks and had to get someone from next door. He didn't know much better but eventually we ended up with the bitterest fruit drink I've every had here, or maybe that should be most bitter. Needless to say Xixi didn't want it so I managed the two cups myself, reasoning that it must at least be healthy.

While back at Lao Ma's Ling Ming came in. I don't know if he was planning to get a haircut or had seen us there but Leilei was happy to play with his phone, and happy to stay with him while I took Xixi to Jiu ma's place and found La la jie jie, the girl that Xixi played with a lot last year, but this time Xixi was having none of it and refused to even acknowledge her...she can be a stubborn little brute sometimes. So I took her to the the electric hardware shop run by one of Tan's aunties to pay for the fans Tan had bought yesterday. Being on the 14th floor (15th if you are superstitious), we are graced with a slight breeze much of the time which really takes the edge off the heat, and justifies getting fans rather than expensive air conditioning. Of course Xixi got fawned upon when we entered the shop, something that happens very frequently wherever she goes, much to her disdain! Tan's aunt insisted that one of the fans was a gift and I could only get her to accept 500 kuai for the other two. It was getting towards lunchtime so we went to grab some noodles at a small place near our flat. Xixi actually ate some of mine and the kindly woman gave her a little bowl of her own. We only spent 4 kuai and were both satisfied.

We went next door to buy some fruit-laced "nai cha" (milk tea) that the kids love. While we were waiting for it some boy came running in from the noodle place with Xixi's hat and teddy that she had forgotten. We then made it one more door down to another shop where she managed to leave her hat and teddy again... We went back to the house and I got Xixi to have a short sleep that I unfortunately was not able to manage. Unsurprisingly I got a call from A Wu asking for his presents as he was going to meet a boss and wanted to give him a bottle of alcohol. So I grabbed the bag we'd prepared, containing a bottle of Johnny Walker whisky, Bacardi rum, a mix of perfumes, some chocolate, cereal bars and a lynx deodorant and shower gel. I suggested A Wu give the Rum to the boss as the JW was Red Label (the cheapest) and I didn't want him to lose face. This boss was stationed just south of the town and his business was selling houses - a lucrative business to be in based on the continuing number of places being built in and around Pingguo. He had a lovely "cha zi" (chiseled tea table, a bit like mine but much bigger) and we had a few glasses of tie guan yin tea while chatting. It transpired that I had met him last year during the Germany - England game in the World Cup in Number 5 Cafe. He was well pissed-off as he had put money on England to win! Anyway we didn't stay too long and afterwards went to pick up Leilei to go "swimming".


Xixi being unphotogenic with a boss at his tea table

When you haven't got any swimming costume on you it's a bit rich to say "swimming" when what you mean is going to the local lake to meet some friends. Haiwei was there along with about 10 other people and judging by the amount of empty beer cans under the picnic table they had enjoyed an elongated lunch as it was already 3pm. Apparently they were just ready to go for a swim. I thought about warning them of the dangers of swimming straight after eating and drinking but knew the ears my words would have fallen on would decide not to understand anything I say. A Wu said we could buy swimming trunks at the shop in the car park but the thought of looking after the two kids in the water without arm bands was too much.

Leilei and Xixi had seen some boats and told A Wu they wanted to go on them. Good alternative, I thought. So A Wu paid 200 kuai (a deposit, I wrongly thought at the time), and we got into one of the yellow boats with space for two in the front and two behind. Naturally the kids sat with A Wu behind leaving me to drive, which I wasn't complaining about. The boat was powered by a petrol engine and terribly slow, but it didn't stop Leilei from saying we were going to crash when I took my hands off the steering wheel and turned around to talk to him. It took about 20 minutes to get to the other side of the lake, and was very enjoyable and relaxing. I took a few photos and then realised that there were some spots on the water. It had started to rain, and when it rains here it generally pours. Today was no exception and within two minutes there was a storm-whipped deluge hitting us. The boat did have a sort of cover for protection but the rain was coming down in diagonal stair rods and no-one could keep dry. I concentrated all my efforts on keeping my phone away from the moisture as I headed home in what seemed an interminable voyage.


Cap'n Xixi surveying the seas


Leilei enjoying a stint at the wheel

We were all drenched when we finally made shore and grateful that A Wu had a couple of small towels in his car when we got there. My phone had survived, but the kids were sobbing a little in the back due to the loud thunder and being sopping wet. That didn't last long, though I did have to turn off the A/C in A Wu's car for the first time in my life. Back home we all changed clothes and watched as the storm we'd just escaped from came and enveloped our town and gave the local farmers some much needed relief. The kids were fine at home and Leilei used his imagination by making my tea table a lego man base which I thought was quite cool.


Leilei with his lego men on my tea table

In the evening we were invited to go to the same restaurant as the other day, this time with a number of family and friends I hadn't seen for a year. While in the restaurant foyer I bumped into Zhang Hongping, who I knew well from last year and was in another room with his friends tonight. I also saw Da jie and the aunty from the electic shop, who also were dining in a private room with some of their friends. I did manage a few gan beis with the lads but my heart wasn't really in it as I was rather exhausted. Plus Xixi was coughing quite a bit and needed some medicine. So when Tan got back at 7.15 I made my excuses and left for home with Xixi. Not so fast. A Hua said she had some medicine for her so first we had to go to A Hua's ma ma's house to pick that up. My Chinese reading is getting better but I didn't want to risk getting medicine instructions wrong, so I called A Hua to ask how much to put in the little cap. Tan answered and said she was coming home anyway and would do it. Obviously the meal was no fun for her without me. The kids got to bed by 11pm which is early for them here, but necessary as tomorrow they are going to A Da's teacher's house for some summer schooling.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete