Saturday, September 03, 2011

Last day in Pingguo 2011 and another temporary blackout

Normally this day is a panic-stricken few hours of getting our stuff sorted and leaving an almighty mess before getting a lift to Nanning airport. This year was a bit of an exception. The kids had slept at Waipo's place so Tan and I were able to get up a little later than normal, justified by the fact that we'd been up late last night after the karaoke packing bags. But it makes it so much nicer when you know that if you're leaving stuff behind it's in your own house rather than a relative's. I left a few more clothes and some toiletries that would have taken up some weight and will be of more value waiting for the next time we come. The same went for some of the kids' toys and even Tan's stuff. I did take a picture of some of my toiletries though, so I know what not to bring next time. Unfortunately, when it comes to clothes I've left the same ones there for a few years now and although they only get worn for a few weeks a year my photographs would lead people to believe I haven't refreshed my wardrobe much since coming to Pingguo.


A reminder of my toiletries

I actually had to pop into the local supermarket and took a pic of the booze section in case Awl or another friend might be interested

Well something typical had to happen on our last day, and it duly did. Although we have now been moved to "City Electricity" as opposed to "Country Electricity", the effect of a tropical storm this morning had some unwelcome effects on our plans. My first task was to take back the flat screen telly to Waipo's house, where we borrowed it from seven weeks ago. This would have been easy had it not been pissing down by the time I got onto the electric bike. I decided to wrap the tv in a couple of supermarket bags and it seemed to managed the journey to Waipo's even though I got soaked to the bone in lovely warm rain. I didn't stay long enough to actually test the tv, but this was my last time with Waipo so I gave her a genuinely loving hug. Although she is mostly skin and bones, she is now a bit used to this Westernism; she actually put her arms out to hug me before I did so to her. That is actually quite a profound change. I do think she likes me now.

So much for the tv. I had to drop some stuff off at A Hua's then get back via the market. But as soon as I arrived at the market the heavens truly opened and it was all I could do to find refuge by one of the market sellers and manage to keep a tiny amount of dryness on my tee-shirt. I knew it wasn't even midday, and we didn't have to leave till 3pm, so I just sat there chatting with the market seller, and realised that this was another of the things I love about being here. I was no longer just a white bloke, we were just talking about the seasonal variations of fruit, and how it affected business etc. It took nearly half an hour for the rain to die down but when it did I drove to A Hua's again since the rain had aborted my previous attempt. There I left my trusty electric steed, and said my goodbyes to A Hua and a couple of other lovely ladies.

Stuck in the rain but happy to be in the market place!

For the last time in 2011 I took a san lun che to get back home. I knew that we'd pretty much packed up all we needed.
I pressed the button on the lift to get me up to our 14th floor (13th in English) and promptly found out that the recent storm had screwed the electricity. Bugger. There was nothing for it; in the 30+ degree heat I walked up to our place and grabbed the heaviest bag (as Tan was taking a shower). It might have taken half an hour but I got the bugger down after losing two pints of sweat. By this time Lin Hong and her husband had arrived to help us. I explained about the lack of electricity so her husband A Zheng walked up with me to get the rest. Somehow, while I was upstairs the electricity came back on. That should have been great news except for the fact that I had started taking the second heaviest bag downstairs. I finally noticed that the electricity was back when I was on the eigth floor, and gladly took the lift for the remainder of the trip...but I could have been told earlier I'm sure...

Finally the dreaded hour of departure arrived, and Lin Hong and her husband took us to Waipo's house where the kids were ready to go. I don't want to dwell on the journey but it was as it has been since 2003, with the "Don't drive tired" road signs on the way to the airport. And the airport was the same, with our best friends staying until we got past the security point. Really sad, as they are not just friends but actual relatives.

The flight to Beijing was on time and thankfully not too turbulent. I'd already ordered a taxi (at 40 quid I thought it was extortionate but a sign of the times), and we got to our shitty Beijing hotel (Forest Land hotel) around midnight. Unfortunately it was quite a dirty place, but after a long day we just slept (I would have preferred the advertised wifi). Not a great welcome to the capital city.

No comments:

Post a Comment