Friday, September 26, 2008

Floating shoe boxes and big wheel graffiti

Awoke at 5am after two hours sleep with a very painful tummy and was nearly sick… I was feeling feverish and started seeing floating shoe boxes above me. It took some effort but I managed to logic them away by focusing on the fact that they were not real. Also, by doing this in Chinese it made it easier to concentrate on the job of removing the shoe boxes from my mind. Then I had the idea for a big wheel on the side of a flat cliff, with wonderful views one side, and the choice of shooting paint balls on the other to colour/graffiti the cliff. It felt like a good idea at the time as it would be easier to erect than the London Eye, but somehow I don’t think it will catch on.

After finally getting some money out I went back to sleep at 11am for 4 hours, when Diana came again and went out shopping with Tan and the kids, then slept again till 6.30pm when they came back. Even then I found it hard to get up to go for a meal. This time we went to a “Vegetarian New Age” restaurant in a fashionable road in Shanghai that Diana had been to earlier in the day. Although the food was a fairly good alternative to meat, there was no disguising the fact there was no alternative to beer, so I still haven’t had more than a pint at any meal yet….

Outside, the girls (Diana and Tan) realised there was still half an hour of shopping time to go, which they made due use of. At least we were constrained by baggage allowance, something that didn’t appear to apply to Diana and her 12 new pairs of shoes. By 10pm just about everyone on Huai Hai Central Road was waiting for a taxi, so the girls started trying to flag one down too. They didn’t appear to understand me when I suggested walking up one of the adjoining roads as there were fewer people there, and looked at me like I was doing something to spite them when I turned up one of these roads. Of course within a minute I’d found a cab. Did I get any thanks for using my logic to enable these ladies and kids to get home safely and quickly?

Despite the amount of sleep today I still managed to fall asleep by 1am.

No comments:

Post a Comment